Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Live From The Saharan

Monday marked not only our second full week in LA, but also part 1 of Jim and Chelsea's Big Move. No, we haven't moved into our fabulously swanky new apartment, but we have moved into - drumroll! - The Saharan Motor Hotel!

Wait, what?

Yes indeed, we have taken a step closer and moved out of MJ's lovely pad in Silver Lake, and relocated on the edge of West Hollywood for the last 2 weeks before we can move into our apartment. This place is like the Bates Motel, but with a lot more palm trees.



Okay, not really. It's tacky and it's bright and it's full of foreigners who seem to think that motor hotels are the coolest things ever (at least that's what I deciphered from their excited babblings out by the pool) but it does come with free wifi and hi-def cable, so I really can't complain. And it's right across the street from The Coffee Bean, aka my new crack addiction locale.






And, in addition to not being homeless, I am also no longer jobless! As of today I started at a restaurant on the Sunset Strip, a magical place full of beautiful boutiques boasting buttloads of expensive clothes that I shall never be able to afford, but I still go in there with my sunglasses on and pretend to actually browse so maybe people will think I'm rich and/or famous. I mean the Strip, not the restaurant, although they also have expensive food that I can't, at this moment, afford.

Luckily for me, the only dress-code requirement is "black" and for anyone who's ever met me, you already know that 95% of my wardrobe is black. Of course that didn't stop me from going shopping today and buying 4 more black outfits, but I like to think of them as an investment, seeing as I'll wear them at work and out on the town. Have I ever mentioned that I'm a pro at rationalizing?

So for now, while we're living it up in the "motor hotel" and splurging on new outfits, Jim and I are saving $$ and living like college students while we get ourselves on our feet. This means eating hummus and chips, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And lots and lots of Coke Zero.

My dream to stay a pseudo-college student forever is finally coming true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh, getting a job at a college was my way of being the eternal student.

I'm like Van Wilder. Except female. And the college pays for me to be here and take classes.

Sweeeeet.