Sunday, May 4, 2008

28 Days LA(ter)

Days till LA: 28

Zombie innuendo aside (please, dear god, seeing as it's 1:40am and I'm currently alone in my very-vulnerable-to-attack apartment) things are going quite well at the moment. I have a few dilemmas, as would anyone planning on hiking across the freaking country, but I feel very good about the situation in general.

As of right now, Jim and I are planning on hightailing it to Los Angeles on June 2nd. On the 1st I have... something involving a Rabbi, an unveiling, and my dearly departed grandfather (I promise there's no punch line coming) so we're going to head out the next day. No, we don't have an apartment set up, but I've pretty much come to the decision that it would be wisest to wait until we're out there. I've had some replies on Craigslist, but everyone wants me to send all of my personal information via email to them, and while I might not have shocking amounts of common sense, I'm proud to say I'm above sending online strangers my Social Security number and license information.

So we'll either be crashing with a family friend, or living it up high class style in a roadside motel, while we apartment hunt. That way, we can actually verify the people on Craigslist, rather than go through the joys of identity theft. It's the little things, really.

My only issue now is the question of what to do with my bed. This is my bed:



Is that, or is that, the most beautiful bed you've ever seen?

Clearly I'd like to keep it, especially because I have an amazingly comfortable box spring and mattress from Jordan's Furniture on top of it, and I'd really like to keep the set. But getting it out there will most likely be quite pricey and, frankly, a massive pain in the ass. These are my options:

1. UHaul the bed and my belongings back to Hull, and leave the bed at my mom's as a spare.

2. UHaul the bed and my belongings back to Hull, and have my mother ship the bed out later, if we can figure out the mechanics of shipping not only a bed frame, but a mattress and box spring.

3. Sell the bed down here, and use the money to purchase a new bed in LA, seeing as there's an Ikea in Burbank, and Jim and I will be shopping there like there's no tomorrow anyway. Forget the UHaul and ship a few things, and take Amtrak back to Hull instead.

The last option is, I know, the smartest. I'd make money, and not waste $400 on a fucking UHaul (seriously, what's up with the price hike?? It's not like gas is included in that damn total!) and I'd just be able to buy the same set out there - but it makes me very sad to part with my bed. Call me nostalgic - or crazy - but I want my bed out there. Course money reigns supreme at the end of the day, and since I'm penny pinching at this point, it might be time to grow up and say goodbye. Tis the time of change, and all.

No comments: